Thursday, July 19, 2012

just words

Death. No one likes to talk about it.  It's like the elephant in the room, that everyone sees, but no one acknowledges.  Yet it is there.  Everywhere.  Permeating life.  I have a heavy heart tonight.  A childhood friend of mine, has a niece, who now lays lifeless in a hospital bed.  She is strapped to all kinds of monitors, and contraptions.  Surrounded by her loved ones.  A machine is breathing for her.  As she cannot do it on her own.  There has been no brain wave activity for days now.  Everyone is praying.  Hoping.  Wishing.  Negotiating with God or whoever it is they believe in, to let her wake up.  To bring her back to her family.  I don't know if she will wake up.  I pray she does.  And can return to her life, to her children at home.  It appears she has suffered a stroke.  She is twenty-six years old.

I keep trying to grasp it, to understand it, but I can't.  How could a seemingly healthy, vibrant and beautiful young woman, be perfectly fine one minute, and then the next minute, be in a coma?  How does this even happen?

My heart aches for her.  For my friend.  For all of the family, who now stand in vigil at the hospital.

It kind of puts everything in perspective for me, as far as priorities and mindless, petty, nuances that happen in my life.  My sister and I met for dinner the evening.  Yet neither one of us could eat.  We just sat there, staring at each other, crying, wondering what we could do for them.

Helpless.  That's how we feel.

Pray.

That's all I can do. That's all anyone can do.  Well, that and have lots and lots and lots of faith.

I believe in miracles.  I am living proof that they can happen.  So I still hang on to that little bit of fraying hope, that she will pull through.

Please wake up Ashley.








13 comments:

not displayed said...

This is such a heartbreaking thing for you to have to go through.
Sending hugs and positive energy in the hope she will recover

David Batista said...

I'm so sorry, Yvonne. My prayers are with you and the family. This is such a terrible thing to have to go through, and doubly so for it to happen to one so young and in the vibrancy of her life.

Hold on to that hope!

Robin said...

Death is never easy to accept. It is most difficult in the young. Children are especially hard. All you can do is pray and hope that something good will come out of it if she does pass. My prayers are with you.

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

It is so hard to see why things like this happen. You are right to keep hoping and praying as long as you possibly can.
Feeling helpless is very hard. I will pray for peace for you as well.
Whatever happens, things will work out and the sweetness and light of your friends niece will go on.

Jennifer Hillier said...

I'm so, so sorry Yvonne. I will definitely pray.

reeflightning said...

so sorry yvonne.

Random Girl said...

So sorry for all who are touched by this awfulness. So very sad. Prayers to you and your family.

Yvonne said...

All-
Thank you very much for your kind words and prayers. Sadly, Ashley passed away Friday afternoon, shortly after being taken off life-support. Please continue to pray for her children, they are so young and will miss her more than we can every imagine. Thanks again, everyone! I appreciate everyone's words, profoundly.

The Frisky Virgin said...

Oh, Yvonne, I am so very sorry. I had hoped so much to read of a miracle. She was far too young. It's things like this that make me ask why. I suppose we're not meant to understand or know. My thoughts and prayers will be with them all. Much love to you.

Slyde said...

sending prayers your way....

Yvonne said...

FV- thanks, doll!

Slyde- thanks so much!

Not So Simply Single said...

So sad!

Yvonne said...

NSSS0- Yes it was/is. Thanks!

Chapter 56

The sunlight peeping through the curtains, stir her from her sleep.  Her eyes open and she rubs them a bit before sitting up in bed.  Eyes n...