Saturday, February 18, 2012

Open Letter to New Jersey Governor Christie

Dear Governor:

Most of the world knows entertainer Whitney Houston died last week.  I, along with millions of others, were saddened by the passing of such an amazingly talented woman.  Most would agree with you that she was a special kind of woman, with a voice that was truly a gift.  However,  ordering all state and American flags to fly at half-staff today; the day of her funeral, was a horrible idea and truly disrespectful.  Last year, you did the same thing when saxophone player, Clarence Clemons passed away.  And lest we forget, Pennsylvania Governor, Tom Corbett, ordered the flags to be flown at half-staff in honor of Penn State football coach, Joe Paterno's passing.  Seriously?  As an American, I take great offense to such  irresponsibility, lack of tact, and clear abuse of power that was exhibited.

The honor of flags being lowered to half-staff should be reserved to those who have perished as a result of public duty, our service men and women who are out there protecting our nation and the Constitution, and for those who served as formal leaders and dignitaries. NOT for celebrities.  With all due respect to Whitney Houston, what exactly did she contribute to this country to merit such an elite and respected accolade that is or is supposed to be reserved for servicemen and women, public servants, presidents and other dignitaries alike?  She was an entertainer for godsakes!  Yes her death was a true tragedy.  I get that.  And I don't belittle her accomplishments but to put her and the others in the same category as those that serve in military or public servants is such a ridiculous concept to me!  Not to mention a slap in the face to those families of wounded officers, or the widows/widowers/children and loved ones they have left behind.


I realize that my words will do nothing to change matters or make a difference to your audacity.  But it will make me feel better. And it will give voice to those that are perhaps not able to convey to you what utter disrespect your actions have wrought.


Shame on you Governor, shame on you.


Sincerely,


One Pissed-off American 

14 comments:

Ruth said...

One person's death is no more important than another one.
I get the flying at half staff for soldiers, but that is it.
I see it all the time. One person's death will make the news, but another won't. Neither are famous. Just one seems more dramatic or "important" somehow.

Belle said...

I agree with you completely!

Yvonne said...

Ruth- By no means did I mean to say that one death is more or less important than the other. If that's how you understood it, I apologize.

Belle- Thanks!

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

For whatever reason, this really doesn't bother me. I see it as a state freedom or states rights issue. They can give whatever honors they wish to bestow to whomever they want. Even if our leadership doesn't do things perfectly at least they can still do it freely- for a little while longer anyway. I am much more concerned with the idea that there are already too many regulations on everyone. I'd rather see lots of stupid mistakes done freely than worry about what is done just right. Although I can understand your annoyance, I am one of those people who is perfectly willing to fight for someones rights to do what they want, even if it's silly or poorly thought out- as long as it doesn't truly irreparably harm someone else.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

The flag should only be flown at half mast when soliders pass away or when you are honouring people who have passed in disasters such as 9/11.

Anonymous said...

I actually thought this was going to be about his passive "I can't make a controversial decision because I'm campaigning to be Vice-President" stand on gay marriage. There are soooo many things that idiot should be ashamed about.

The thing is, I know why he did this for Whitney Houston: there was an op-ed piece in the Star-Ledger the day after she died that referenced his decision to honor Clarence Clemons the same way. And, if I'm not mistaken, Clemons wasn't a New Jersey native. Whitney Houston is an NJ icon, like the Boss or Bon Jovi. Does that make it right? No. But he set the precedent and he had to stick with it.

Also, if he didn't do this he'd seem very insensitive to the African-American community that already feels alienated by him because he panders to rich white people only.

OMG...did I actually *defend* him? I need a shower...

CWMartin said...

I'm on your side here, Y. That flag is meant for those theat made the Ultimate Sacrifice, not those who make gold records- or waste them.

Ruth said...

Yvonne, that wasn't what I meant. I knew that isn't what you were meaning. I meant that I agree that the flag shouldn't be flown at half-staff because she isn't more important than you or me.

not displayed said...

Sounds like a bit of a popularity thing. Get himself on the news

If the flags are lowered for every celebrity death in the end it will never see the top of a flagpole

Don said...

If anyone is concerned and really interested, there's a lot of information about our flag code @ http://www.gettysburgflag.com/Flag-Code.php

Katie @ Chicken Noodle Gravy said...

Bravo, Yvonne! I agree completely.

Yvonne said...

YRJ- Thank you for your comment!

Jo-Anne- Yes, I totally agree with you!

Insomniac- Ugh! He's a total idiot, for sure! I hope you showered twice for your last remarks!!! ;)

CW- Agreed! Thanks!

Ruth- ooooh, got it now. sorry, i tend to read fuper fast and lose the translation at times. :)

Mynx- Seriously! Can you imagine if they did do that???

Don- Thanks

Katie- thank you!

The Frisky Virgin said...

My mom was ranting on this very thing the other day. I'll have to tell her about your post--she'll love it. lol

I'm wondering if Mynx is right, and the governor thought it was the popular thing to do? I hope that's not the case. Maybe he did it because he did so before and felt he shouldn't fail to do the same for a NJ native??? I don't know.

One thing is certain, she was/will always be a musical legend. :(

Yvonne said...

FV- I'm sure your mom will get a kick out of this! I think the governor did this for no one else BUT himself. He needed to make himself look good to his constituents.

Chapter 56

The sunlight peeping through the curtains, stir her from her sleep.  Her eyes open and she rubs them a bit before sitting up in bed.  Eyes n...