Monday, December 5, 2011

Whomp Whomp Whomp Wah!

It's almost midnight, in two minutes to be precise.  And I'm still awake.  Wide awake actually.  Great.  Because that's really going to help me in the morning when I have to get up.  It's the end of the weekend already.  What did you do?  Was it fun? Aside from the heartbreak the Cougars caused on Saturday, my weekend was grand! 

When last we met, I was totally hyped for U of H's football game that was going to take place on Saturday morning.  Well, as some of you may already know, there wasn't much of a game that took place.  The Cougars didn't just lose.  They were annihilated.  They choked.  There is no other way of saying it.  This was not the team who up until Saturday's debacle, had a perfect record of 12-0!  The game was bad, this coming from a woman that doesn't even really like football.  You would think that Houston sports fans would be used to this by now.  Defeat.  I mean, I don't know what our founding father Sam Houston did to piss off  the universe, but our sports teams just can't catch a break!  And we, the loyal fans, suffer through season after season, playoff after playoff, and always come up short. Oh sure,  the Astros finally made it to the World Series a few years ago, but just the mere thought of how that came out, still gives me hives.  And sure, the Houston Rockets have gone to the the Championship, but that was so long ago, I can barely remember.  Are we, as many people have suggested, cursed beyond repair?  I mean, how much more loss can this city take?  It's like a really bad joke.  Haha, it's not funny anymore, make it stop. 

Moving on.  I bought my Christmas tree today.  Guess how much I paid for it?  Nope. Wrong.  I paid $16.00 for my 6 foot fir tree! That's right, bargain-arama!  I normally spend close to $60-$80 bucks for that type of tree.  And I was totally expecting to pay that this time too.  I walked up and down the tree lined aisles with my mom in tow. We inspected and prodded the trees.  I caught "my" tree perched up against the wall.  Upon closer inspection, I fell in love with it.  It was so pretty and green and just perfect!  I didn't see a price tag on it so I went and asked one of employees for help.  He took a few minutes to give me a price but when he came back he was holding a tag that read "19.99".  Huh? Clearly a mistake. But he seemed really sure and who was I to argue right? Right. I proceed to the cashier to pay and then to my surprise, the cashier says, "That'll be $16.00"  What? Again, I kept my mouth shut and paid her before she told me she messed up or something.  They loaded my tree onto my car and I drove off.
Falalalala la la la la!

8 comments:

Don said...

Your Cougars should have known better than to tangle with a team from the strongest college football conference in the USA, the Southeastern Conference.

This Alabama fan expresses my sincere condolences for your loss.

Would a big ole hug from a redneck help?

HUGS!!!

Great price on your tree. May you enjoy a wonderful and Merry Christmas.

David Batista said...

Aww, too bad about your alma mater. But that's still an impressive record they've got going there.

And congrats on the tree. Sounds like quite the steal -- hopefully not literally! :)

My weekend was slow and uneventful. In other words, exactly as I like it!

Belle said...

Sorry about your teams. :(
That is a terrific price for a Christmas tree. I hope you are having fun at Xmas parties and such this month. Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Guess those basketball championships aren't doing much for ya? And the Texans are adding to the misery, too. Just when you think they're headed for the playoffs...down goes the starting QB....and the backup QB. One more injury and I might be starting for them next week!

On the bright side, you got a sweet deal on an Xmas tree. Maybe it was a sympathy sale for all the Cougars fans? :D

Yvonne said...

David- That sounds like a good weekend to me! Sometimes, the uneventful weekends are the best!

Belle- I'm having a blast! I'll write about it later!

Insomniac- Sympathy sale!?? Whatever! Ha! As for the Texans, that's so true! We're down to the back up to the back up to the back up! hahaha It was a miracle no one got injured at yesterday's game!

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

I feel ya on the sports teams. Ours out here are cursed as well. ;)
Great deal on the tree. I can't have a real one as I am waaay allergic. Good to know you have a good one to enjoy.
I got this great buy on a big beautiful wreath, but I haven't been able to figure out how to make it work on my door. It's a bit too heavy. I'll have to get creative!

The Frisky Virgin said...

Oh, the Christmas magic was so working in your favor on that tree!!!

I was really surprised at the Houston game. Really thought they would win that one.

I had my own game to choke through (I don't do well under sports stress). Luckily, it all worked out, but there's still one more...the big one in January. (can't say names b/c I'm totally afraid I'll jinx them). Regardless, it's been a phenomenal season!!!

The Frisky Virgin said...

And by phenomenal seasons, I mean that for both our teams! :)

Chapter 56

The sunlight peeping through the curtains, stir her from her sleep.  Her eyes open and she rubs them a bit before sitting up in bed.  Eyes n...