Friday, April 29, 2011

Someday My Prince Will Come

When I was a little girl, my mom gave me a Walt Disney book.  It contained numerous fairy tales and had vibrant, colorful pop-up pictures.  My dad would read that book to my sister and I at bedtime while my mom brushed our hair or just laid in bed with us.  My sister's favorite story was Cinderella.  Mine was Snow White. Both had a common denominator:  Prince Charming.  I would be lying if I said that I did not get caught up in all the hoopla of today's Royal Wedding that took place across the pond.  The fact that I've been up since 3:30 a.m. and it's now a little before 11:00 p.m. should tell you how much of a "fairy tale" lover I am.  And I am.  I remember watching Princess Diana marry Prince Charles.  I was about 14 or 15 years old.  I remember waking up at the wee hours of the morning and jumping into bed with my mom to watch the wedding.  Just like today.  We both wore our pajama finest!  We were after all, watching regalia. 

While watching the ceremony, my mom whispered to me in Spanish, "Ya llegara tu principe."  Meaning, "Your prince will come."  I just rolled my eyes in indifference.  But that stuck with me all day.  I kept thinking about the little girl that used to play dolls and always, always played "The Wedding" with Barbie and Ken.  Even back then, I was hopeful.  I just knew that I too, would have a "prince".  But as the years go on and I am still here, alone, I can't help but wonder what happened to that little girl's dream?  Don't misunderstand, I'm not jaded and certainly not cold.  But I do think that I'm "indifferent" when it comes to hoping for "someone" to come into my life.  I would like to think that I still believe in fairy tales, but the reality of it is, not so much.  I do believe in love, and am a hopeful romantic, still.  And I believe that my heart would compliment someone else's heart very well.  But I don't dwell on it.  As I get older, I realize that life is not for dreaming it away.   Life is for living and hoping.  We must never lose hope.  And that's not to say I won't give someone (anyone at this point --kidding!  I have to find the humor in this you know!) a chance.  For now, that's all I can do.  Live my life the best way I know how, and making myself happy. But today, today was all about fairy tales and princesses and princes and love and and outrageous hats!  Good grief! Some of them were waay, waaay out there!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take my tiara off and go to sleep.

7 comments:

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

I didn't think that I would get caught up in the Royal Wedding stuff, but I did just a little bit. It was fun to be hopeful and happy for this newly married couple.
It is always a must to continue to be hopeful and optimistic. Your mother is right, you know...

Trebor Nevals said...

Listen to your mother.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Your mom is so sweet for whispering that to you. How can you not believe it coming from your mommy? I like that, and your last sentence.
xoRobyn

Yvonne said...

YRJ- hehehe, i hope so!

Rob- lol, I'm trying to!

Robyn- Glad you liked it! And yes, mom's do know best! :)

Belle said...

I think your mom is right!

Underground Dude said...

All the ladies (I am the only dude) in my office were like zombies at work on Friday because they woke up to watch The Royal Wedding. I was amused.

Yvonne said...

UD- haha! Lucky you!

Chapter 56

The sunlight peeping through the curtains, stir her from her sleep.  Her eyes open and she rubs them a bit before sitting up in bed.  Eyes n...