Monday, December 6, 2010

Surprise!

I surprised my mom with Andrea Bocelli tickets yesterday. I found out he was coming to Houston a few months ago and thought that it would be a great Christmas gift for her. She absolutley LOVES his music! So for almost a month I've been hiding these tickets and resisting the urge to show them to her. Do you how very hard that is for me? Ugh! I am no good at keeping secrets! (except my own, of course)So anyway, the day of revelation came. Taking advantage of the fact that she was at church that morning, I put the envelope holding the tickets in a shoe box, wrapped it in very festive and Christmas-like paper, stuck a huge bow on it and placed the gift on the dinning room table. When she came home, she found the gift on the table and asked me who it was for. Of course I was beside myself with anticipation and excitement. "It's for you mom. Merry early Christmas!" She looked at me skeptically. "What are you talking about? It's not Christmas yet." Rolling my eyes I replied, "I know it's not Christmas yet, I'm early. Just open it!"

She kept the skeptical look on her face as she studied the gift, and proceeded to gingerly unwrap it, carefully removing the bow first of course!

"Ay mija, you bought me shoes?"

I was grinning from ear to ear as she lifted the lid off the box. She opened the envelope and there they were, two tickets to see Andrea Bocelli. To say that she was elated and surprised would be putting it mildly. She was so touched her eyes became watery. I gave her a big hug and told her I loved her. She chastized me for spending so much money on her. She always does that with my brother and my sister and me. She'll tell us she doesn't need anything or pick the least expensive item because she doesn't want any of us spending our money on her. She'd rather we spend it on ourselves. I love this woman more than my own life! I would do anything to make her happy. The smile on her face, made me feel all warm and fuzzy. And that's the best Christas gift she could ever give me. So Merry early Christmas to me!

The concert is Wednesday evening, I can't wait!

5 comments:

ISRAEL CARRASCO said...

Good for you. It's amazing what a cool gift does to the spirit of the recipient. Moms' rock!

not displayed said...

what a gorgeous story. I loved it

Shady Del Knight said...

Heartwarming, Yvonne! Moments like this are what it's all about. Moms always say "Don't get me anything for Christmas. I already have everything I need." Yet, it's clear from the way she reacted that your surprise meant a great deal to her. Random acts of kindness make others happy and they make you happy as well.

SB said...

IM so excited too!! i LOVE Bocelli!!! He is just amazing!!! i love how you love on your mommy :) im gonna be seeing my own mumsypie in one week!! waaaaheeeeee!!!!!

enjoy the evening and if possible please put up a pic of the dear fellow!

Belle said...

What a great gift for your mom! She sounds like a wonderful person.

Chapter 56

The sunlight peeping through the curtains, stir her from her sleep.  Her eyes open and she rubs them a bit before sitting up in bed.  Eyes n...