Tuesday, December 10, 2019

december 10th-chapter 10

So I've been doing this thing at night.  On December 1st I started reading the book of  Luke in the bible.  Well, online for me.  You see, I lost mine years ago and I never replaced it.  It was my high school bible and was full of bright yellow and pink highlighted passages and scribbled notes.  The pages were fragile, worn, held together only because I had taped and re-taped the binding.  I loved that bible.  Somewhere between my college years and becoming an adult, I lost track of it.  Moreso, because I stopped reading it.  Not because I lost my faith or stopped believing in God, no, it was more of because I lost interest.  Don't get me wrong, I still went to church and for a time I was very active in my church and volunteering with many groups.  I'm a bit embarrassed to admit but I don't really have an excuse for not reading the bible or buying a new one.  I just, didn't.

But I digress.

So yeah, I started reading the book of Luke.  There was a meme or something like that going around Facebook that encouraged you to begin reading it because it has 24 chapters and by December 24th, you'd have read the entire account of Jesus' life.  I thought it was kind of a cool thing to do so I started it.  I am finding that I enjoy it because not only am I getting a "refresher" (I've been out of Catholic school a long, long, long time) but it's forcing me to find that quiet time that all of us need in our lives.  Not necessarily for bible study, it could be anything, as long as you find that time to be alone with your thoughts.  Reading the bible this way has also revived my curiosity with the whole "religion" thing.

As I've gotten older, especially the last 5 or so years,  I've had doubts and unsettling thoughts that at times kept me away from going to church (other times it was just my plain laziness that kept me away).  I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this but this is my truth.  And so, I welcomed the opportunity to revisit the word of God and hopefully, come out of this with a renewed spirit.

I know religion and God and faith are not everyone's cup of tea, and that's okay.   I just like to change it up from time to time.  Let's face it, how many of my bad dates, break-up stories can you take? Am I right?

It's way past my bedtime, 6:00 a.m. is going to come really fast.

Sweet dreams bloggies.

Peace.

8 comments:

jatin said...

very nice blog play bazaar

satta king

Play said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Play said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janie Junebug said...

For many years I didn't miss a Sunday at church. Since I moved and got divorced, I haven't found a church that really appeals to me. Over the years I've gotten tired of the many arguments that church members have and their constant complaints about pastors. Church has become difficult for me. Thank you for your comment on my blog.

Love,
Janie Junebug

CWMartin said...

God always rewards those who seek Him with more of Himself. I have a program I use called e-Sword which has several versions of the Bible plus commentaries. Not necessary for casual reading but great for research!

Play said...

very nice blog play bazaar

play bazaar
satta king

Yvonne said...

Janie Junebug- I get it. I've become disheartened as well. I hope you're feeling better.

CW Martin - Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try it out.

betty said...

I saw that same meme on Facebook about reading a chapter of Luke from December 1st through December 24th; I'm doing the same thing :) I love reading the Bible. Been reading it pretty much daily for over 15 years and I am always learning something new with it. I too have a Bible that was like yours that you lost. It was underlined and written in it and pages were coming out. I still have it but read a different one these days and am trying not to underline in it :) Keep reading! It is life changing! I have several Bibles here. I'd be glad to send you one if you want a "hard" copy. Just email me at lv2trnscrb@aol.com.

Merry Christmas!

betty

Chapter 56

The sunlight peeping through the curtains, stir her from her sleep.  Her eyes open and she rubs them a bit before sitting up in bed.  Eyes n...