Thursday, November 2, 2017

Last Team Standing

If you have been a follower of my blog for a while, you know one thing is certain about me.  And that is my love for baseball but more specifically, my love for the Houston Astros.  This morning I woke up and I had to pinch myself.  I needed to assure myself that last night was not a dream.  I wanted to make sure that I had not just had the most amazing dream ever.  And guess what? It was not a dream.  It was very real and my Houston Astros were indeed the 2017 World Series Champions. 

Whaaat?

Boston Red Sox? Beat em.  New York Yankees? Beat em.  Los Angeles Dodgers? BEAT.THEM.

Finally, after enduring year after gut-wrenching, emotionally draining year, finally, the Astros did it.  They won the World Series!  Did you hear me?  They WON.THE.WORLD.SERIES.  Oh my gosh I was literally in tears when the last out was made.  I was with one of my brothers and my sister-in-law at a local bar/restaurant, along with about 200 of my closest friends.  We were there to witness history or to witness history repeat itself.  Luckily, the "curse" was broken and we were victorious.  And how could we not be?  This team that some had dubbed "the little engine that could" -had the best record in the league going into the All-Star break.  I knew back then that something special was going to happen but because of the history of the Astros, I didn't let myself get too carried away.  I just told myself to enjoy it while it lasted.  And boy did I ever.

When the last out was made I looked at my brother who was yelling and jumping up and down and I looked back at the TV screen and then it sunk in and I started jumping up and down and yelling, "Oh my god!" over and over again.  An overwhelming feeling of vindication, triumph, and sheer and utter happiness took over my entire being.  I was so incredibly happy.  So happy that I started crying.  So many years, so many let downs and then this season, the fantastic regular season and the explosive and exciting post season of their history, it was just all too much.  I had to let just let the tears flow.  And trust me, I was not alone.  More than a few she a tear right along with me.  Strangers became friends and camaraderie was in abundance.   Everyone wanted to savor that which we craved for so many years. 

No more, "Wait till next year" or "Next year it's ours!" or "We'll be back stronger than ever!" -No boys and girls, this time, 2017 was our year and nothing and no one would take that away from us.  In what I can only describe as a Cinderella season, the Houston Astros won it's first ever World Series and came out champions.  It only took 56 years and lots and lots, I mean, LOTS of heartache and frustration, but they finally did it.  Let me tell you, being a baseball fan for a less than stellar team year after year was not for the faint at heart. But if you love baseball and you're from Houston, you made it through and remained ever hopeful.

I can honestly say that this World Series has been by far, the most exciting and intense series that I have ever witnessed.  Game 2 alone was insane! Then along came game 5 and blew it out of the phenomenal water.

Congratulations to my Houston Astros -2017 World Series Champions!

Now that the series is over and baseball is gone until next year, this happy girl is going to finally get her 8 hours of sleep.  I got a parade to go to in the morning.


3 comments:

CWMartin said...

I figured you had it won when the idiot Dodgers started Darvish in G7. I had that loser on my fantasy team most of the year and knew how he was pitching. Plus, unlike the Dodgers, I paid attention to G2, before which I told Laurie, "I hope he pitches like he did his first game as a Dodger," and found myself amply rewarded. Plus wonder boy Bellinger looked like he woke up from a dream about being a rookie sensation and found out he was the kid that always gets stuck in right field.

That being said, ENJOY!

Yvonne said...

CW- Ha! Bellinger was a thorn on my side!

tya6i said...

If you are downloading play bazaar music from Amazon, watch out for special offers. Single and albums downloads often are available at a discount, saving you lots of money on your favorite song. The discounts change from day to day, so be sure you check in often to save.

Chapter 56

The sunlight peeping through the curtains, stir her from her sleep.  Her eyes open and she rubs them a bit before sitting up in bed.  Eyes n...