Sunday, January 15, 2017

And again...

Well, so much for the Cinderella ending that so many of us were hoping for.  As has become custom in my fair city, our hopes of  advancing in the playoffs were shattered in the blink of an eye last night.  Again. 

It's so frustrating and exciting and sad all at the same time.  You have to understand, my angst (and a few thousands of other Houstonians) goes back to the days of the Houston Oilers.  Remember them?  We never did "knock the son of bitch in"  Only a few will get that quote.  Then came the new franchise.  New hope.  New beginnings.  And all these years later, we're still waiting.  It's almost as if we are cursed (I've written about this before).  Sam Houston must have really pissed someone else and they felt the need to  put a curse on him and his city and all sports teams.  Heh.  But for real, what gives? 

I've grown immune to feeling loss or pain over these Houston sports teams of mine.  Seriously.  Last night, when all hope was lost, I just laughed at my brothers who were cussing and yelling at the tv screen.  And because I'm a big sister and love getting under their skin, I started singing the old Oilers fight song: "Luv ya Blue" The look on their faces was priceless.  

And just like that, the season is over.  Again.  But rest assured, the ever hopeful will be back again next season (myself included) to root, to hope and in some instances, to pray for a winning season.  I really, really, wanted a miracle this season.  Since Houston is hosting Superbowl LI, I hoped with all my might that the Texans would pull it off and be in the show.  The icing on the cake would have been a total Texas Superbowl: Texans vs. Cowboys.  But that was not meant to be either.  And before you ask, no I am not a  Cowboys fan.  NEVER.EVER.WILL.BE

Oh well, only 78 days until my Astros opening day!  Silver linings everywhere.


7 comments:

CWMartin said...

I was musing to Laurie last night that while I knew you were an Astros fan, didn't know if you followed the other teams. Your guys did a helluva job- not expected to even play a good game, they played a much better game than the score. Even your (don't take this the wrong way) overpaid excuse of a qb didn't look so bad. You guys really gave the damn Pats something to chew over this week. If it helps, just have pleasant dreams of Altuve and Correa.

Yvonne said...

CW- Yes I'm a Texans fan, a Rockets fan and of course, an Astros fan. They did play well but my favorite part was when Brady got sacked. Ha! Oh I totally agree with you about the "overpaid excuse of a qb' Until that changes, things will remain the same.

Powdered Toast Man said...

The Texans should have deflated the footballs. Then maybe they could have won.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Your pep and optimism are contagious, and I needed that dose. Thank you. I remember my brothers cheering for the Houston Oilers - so long ago. Now the Astros better be gearing up for the season of their lives (or of your life, at least). Love ya, girlie.

mshatch said...

Sorry your team is out :( I live in New England so..Patriots. But I prefer baseball; spring training is less than a month away...

Yvonne said...

Powdered Toast Man - ha! you think?

RR- they did? I LOVED the Oilers and I cried when we lost tht last game in the dome. Love you too chica! :)

mshatch- Yes! I'm excited to see what the Astros will do this year!

tya6i said...

You know now that people play bazaar all around town are jamming through their day with mp3 files they got online. This is made possible by the availability of music downloads. By following the advice in this article, you can download your favorites and listen to them whenever you want.

Chapter 56

The sunlight peeping through the curtains, stir her from her sleep.  Her eyes open and she rubs them a bit before sitting up in bed.  Eyes n...